If you’ve been looking for unique coffee table ideas, look no further! I’ve rounded up some of the best on the Internet to help inspire you to create a piece of furniture you’ll truly love,
COFFEE TABLES CAN BE ONE OF THE HARDEST PIECES OF FURNITURE TO TRULY BE HAPPY WITH. BUT WITH THESE IDEAS, YOU CAN CREATE SOMETHING THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
THESE UNIQUE COFFEE TABLE IDEAS CATER TO ALL TYPES OF STYLE TYPES.
Whether you’re looking for something industrial or farmhouse-style, these ideas have you covered.
Each of the ideas come with an easy-to-follow tutorial, which makes it easier to decide whether or not it’s a project you’d like to tackle.
IS MAKING YOUR OWN COFFEE TABLE EXPENSIVE?
Contrary to popular belief, DIY-ing your own custom furniture doesn’t have to be as inexpensive or complicated as it seems. Yes, you can build a table – and some of these ideas include build plans. But oftentimes you can hack or update something to suit your design needs and your budget.
Unique Coffee Table Ideas for the Living Room
Keep scrolling, I’ve got LOTS of DIY projects and ideas to share!
1. Hairpin Leg Coffee Table
Source: Hairpin Leg Coffee Table by Shanty 2 Chic
Adding hairpin legs to your wooden coffee table is sure to give it an instant upscale that’s both classic and chic. Not to mention, the simple modern design can be styled in so many different ways.
2. Dual Outdoor DIY Coffee Table
Source: Dual Outdoor DIY Coffee Table by Sawson Skates
Make the most of your coffee table by making it a dual one. This idea from Sawsom Skates is the perfect way to utilize both space and functionality. Each section can become its own little table!
3. Tire Rope Ottoman Coffee Table
Source: Tire Rope Ottoman Coffee Table by Home Talk
This tire rope ottoman coffee table idea is perfect for a farmhouse theme! It only calls for a few supplies and you can recreate this look for your coffee table.
4. Four Crate Coffee Table on Wheels
Source: Four Crate Coffee Table on Wheels by Hatch and Haven
Who knew that crates could come together to make such a bold piece? This is also a coffee table project that can be scaled up or down depending on the amount of space you have to work with.
5. Tree Stump Coffee Table
Source: Tree Stump Coffee Table by Twelve on Main
Nature always makes for a good piece of furniture, so using tree stumps of different heights as a coffee table is actually quite genius. Depending on the type of tree you use, there isn’t anything extra to do besides picking the size(s) you want to showcase, sanding, and maybe staining.
Using three small tables gives you endless design possibilities. Bunch them together to make a single cool coffee table, or separate then to use as individual end tables or side tables.
6. Coffee Table Using a Salvaged Shutter
Source: Coffee Table Using a Salvaged Shutter by Farmhouse Made
If you’re wanting a more vintage look to your coffee table, then you’ll love this salvaged shutter with added hairpin legs. This is one that can be stained or painted to match other decor in your room.
Don’t have a salvaged shutter? Try using an old door or antique window instead. The possibilities are pretty endless.
Ikea Hack Coffee Table Ideas
I love Ikea hacks to much, that I wrote an entire separate blog post all about Ikea Coffee Table Hacks. Here are some of my favorites:
- Glam Coffee Table Makeover with Contact paper and Paint by Hunker
- Faux Marble Top Coffee Table using Contact Paper by Bless’er House
- Ikea Vittsjo Coffee Table Hack by Made by Carli
- Hemnes Coffee Table with Planked Top by Golden Boys & Me
Farmhouse Coffee Tables
The farmhouse theme is one of the most popular and sought after themes, and rightfully so! Below are several ideas for creating your own farmhouse-style coffee table for a space in your home.
1. Modern Farmhouse Square Coffee Table
Source: Modern Farmhouse Square Coffee Table by Sincerely Marie Designs
This farmhouse coffee table adds a nice modern touch to a living room. It uses the natural look of wood paired with bright white for an fresh look and feel. The square shape table top and smooth surface are just begging for a board game or puzzle!
2. Inexpensive Beginner Farmhouse Coffee Table
Source: Inexpensive Beginner Farmhouse Coffee Table by Ana White
You don’t have to be a pro to make a farmhouse coffee table. The tutorial provided by Ana will walk you through one of the most inexpensive ways to make a table you are sure to be proud of. This table has a classic farmhosue design, complete with shelf underneath perfect for storing extra pillows and blankets.
3. Chunky Farmhouse Coffee Table
Source: Chunky Farmhouse Coffee Table by Handmade Haven
One of the best things about the farmhouse style is its versatility in design and style. For this coffee table, Handmade Haven went with a two-toned look with chippy paint and wood stained top. It’s a classic rustic coffee table.
4. Farmhouse Chest Coffee Table
Source: Farmhouse Chest Coffee Table by Blesser House
Don’t be so quick to throw out an old chest. Consider turning it into a unique-looking coffee table like this one from Blesser House. This is a fantastic option for families needing a bit of extra storage – think puzzles, board games, toys, and everything you want tucked out of sight while still maintaining easy access.
5. Wine Barrel Coffee Table Hack
Source: Wine Barrel Coffee Table Hack by Simply Mrs T
Anything wood-like is perfect for creating a farmhouse-themed coffee table. Mrs. T grabbed an old wine barrel top and turned it into a sturdy coffee table for her living room.
6. Water Trough Coffee Table with Wooden Tray Top
Source: Water Trough Coffee Table by Unknown
What a unique way to add the farmhouse look to any room. Grab a water trough, a piece of thick wood cut to size for the top, and then place it on top of wooden legs (or just let it rest on the ground as is).
7. Milk Can Coffee Table
Source: Milk Can Coffee Table from Love Grows Wild
This simple coffee table is the perfect solution for a small space, since you can cut the table top to any size you like. On a smaller scale, this would even make a fin end table or accent piece.
Industrial Coffee Table Ideas
The industrial look may seem difficult to recreate, but these ideas below will show you just how easy it is to duplicate yourself.
1. DIY Industrial Coffee Table Tutorial
Source: DIY Industrial Coffee Table Tutorial by Little Glass Jar
Building your own industrial-looking coffee table doesn’t have to be stress or overwhelming. LIttle Glass Jar shows us how it’s the type of wood you use and how it’s put together that will get your desired results.
2. Industrial Coffee Table Makeover with a Wooden Shelf Underneath
Source: Industrial Coffee Table Makeover by Home Talk
If you have a glass coffee table with a wire frame then you’re one step closer to designing your own industrial coffee table. Simply replace the glass with wood on the top and bottom and you’re all set.
3. Cedar Plank Industrial Coffee Table
Source: Cedar Plank Industrial Coffee Table by The Locker
It’s the combination of cedar planks, vintage pipe connectors, and metal legs that give this homemade coffee table a true industrial look. It can be easily modified should you want something a bit taller as well.
4. Industrial Wood Coffee Table
Source: Industrial Wood Coffee Table by Little House of Four
Little House of Four shows how inexpensive it can be to build your own industrial wood coffee table. Choosing the right stain and color to match your space is the biggest choice you’ll have. The simple design plans that come with this tutorial are perfect for beginner woodworkers.
DIY Coffee Table Ideas
When you’re looking to do it yourself but in an expensive way, these coffee table ideas may be just what you’re looking for.
1. Basket Coffee Table Hack
Source: Basket Coffee Table Hack by Home Talk
A flipped basket topped with a nice piece of wood is a unique way to create an eye-catching coffee table for any space in your home.
2. Over-Ottoman Coffee Table
Source: Over-Ottoman Coffee Table by Home with Emily Jean
If you have an ottoman that you’d like to keep in it’s space, then creating an over-ottoman coffee table is the perfect solution. You’ll be able to have the best of both pieces furniture.
3. Rustic Round Coffee Table
Source: Rustic Round Coffee Table by Liz Marie Blog
Sometimes it’s the wood and color choice that can change everything. Take an old round coffee table and instantly make it rustic using a light wood colored stain and painting the bottom a dark color.
4. Get the Reclaimed Lumber Look with a Pine Board Coffee Table
Source: Pine Board Coffee Table by Mandy Shares Life
Pine is one of my favorite natural wood tones to use in home decor. It’s so versatile! Mandy decided to use solid wood pine boards to create a focal point to her living room with this DIY wooden table. It’s got the live-edge feel, while being solid and warm.
5. Simple DIY Coffee Table
Source: Simple DIY Coffee Table by Love Grows Wild
This minimal and simple rectangular coffee table with a wooden top is one of my favorites. The tutorial is super easy to follow and it is super versatile should you want to paint or stain it to match your room’s current theme. It’s the perfect addition when you’re trying to decorate on a dime.
Coffee Table Alternatives
1. Cable Reel Coffee Table
Source: How to Upcycle a Cable Reel into a Coffee Table from My Thrifty Life
Cable reel and jumbo spool tables have been popular for quite a while now, and I often see them when scrolling my Pinterest feed. I have no idea how I would go about finding an old cable reel, but I do love this idea.
2. Skinny Primitive Bench as a Coffee Table
Source: Living Room Tour from Miss Mustard Seed
If you’re decorating a small living space, or you just want more floor space – go the skinny route. This primitive bench is a perfect low-profile coffee table, but I bet you could buy a bench at Ikea, on Craigslist, or even an an antique store to DIY a similar effect.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THESE UNIQUE COFFEE TABLE IDEAS FOR LATER:
MORE HOME HACKS AND IDEAS:
- If you work from home and would like to create your own working space, be inspired by these Creative Ikea Home Office Hacks.
- Get and keep and handle on your kitchen organization with these Ikea Kitchen Organizing Hacks.
- Not sure what to do with that awkward space between your upper cabinets and the ceiling? I’m sharing inspiration and ideas for how to decorate above kitchen cabinets.
- Decorate your home with window treatments that you love and can afford, with these 10 inspiring DIY Curtain Rods.
Ikea Furniture Hacks and Roundup Posts:
- Easily create a totally custom storage solution in any room of your home with these Ikea Billy Bookcase Hacks.
- Add a litlte extra storage without breaking the bank with these 17 Ikea Rast Hacks. Completely customize this 3-drawer dresser to suit any space and style.
- Hack those Ikea cabinets and bookshelves for completely custom built-in shelving and storage options. The possibilities are endless!
- Take a simple wooden dresser and add a little bit of creativity to create a stunning custom furniture piece, with these 12 Gorgeous Ikea Tarva hacks.
- Whether you need to organize a home office or any other room in your home, these Ikea Alex drawer hacks are here to save the day!
DIY Furniture Projects from the Blog Archives:
- Come see how my DIY Concrete Table Top has held up after 2 years of use. See what I would do differently, and take a peek at couple of small changes that I’ve made to out dining table top.
- Follow this quick and easy tutorial to make a sofa table to suit any size space.
- Follow this easy, budget-friendly tutorial to make a built-in storage bench – How to build a dormer window storage bench with a piano hinge.
DIY Home Decor on a Budget
- How to make DIY reclaimed wood curtain hooks and hang sheer tabbed curtains. A quick, inexpensive, and easy way to add farmhouse charm to any window.
- How to add accent lights without power or cords with this DIY no wire sconce lights *magic light hack* – See how easy it is to add lighting without running electrical wiring or hiring an electrician.
- Watch this video to learn all about how to install vinyl floor tile. It’s budge-friendly, easy to install, and comes in a TON of patterns. Give this weekend home DIY project a try!
- Grab some chalk paint and give an old piece of furniture or frame a brand new look, with this chippy, layered, distressed chalk paint finish. It’s seriously SO EASY!
- How to make a DIY Copper Shower Curtain Rod, customized for any size shower or space. No power tools or welding needed!
- Save TONS of money on drapery with these DIY no-sew drop cloth curtains. Make easy and inexpensive curtains and a DIY curtain rod on a tiny budget.
- How to make a faux shiplap wall (completely temporary & damage-free) using realistic peel-and-stick shiplap wallpaper. Get the farmhouse look without construction!
Leave a Reply