With the holidays coming up, here’s a quick handmade gift that is sure to make any grandparent smile. You can make this clay pot craft with a few simple craft supplies and about 15 minutes total. You just need to be a bit patient for dry time!
My mom came with us on a recent trip up to Duluth and Minnesota’s North Shore. I was able to capture some great memories with her and her grandkids. These photos made the perfect subject matter for a custom photo gift.
Here’s how it’s done:
This post contains some affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Here are the supplies you will need to make this clay pot craft:
- clay pot and saucer
- white acrylic craft paint
- paint brushes
- Mod Podge – I like this type, because it’s less shiny
- photos – printed on plain white computer paper
- plant and potting soil
Clay Pot Craft – Tutorial
Here’s a quick video tutorial for you, as well as simple written instructions below:
- Paint the clay pot with white acrylic craft paint. Make sure to paint the inside of the clay pot white as well. Paint about the top inch of the inside of the pot. Paint the saucer as well. Let dry.
- Select 6 family photos, and print them on a sheet of regular computer paper. You can use photo editing software to make a photo collage that is 8.5×11″. I do not recommend photo paper, as the paper may be too stiff to adhere to the curved surface of the clay pot. Cut out each individual picture.
- Paint a thin layer of Mod Podge on the side of the clay pot. Smooth a photo over the Mod Podge and seal with another layer. Repeat with the remaining 5 photos. Trim the photos if needed to make a collage.
- Optional: Using a contrasting color, paint a name or saying on the top border of the clay pot. Ours reads, “My favorite people call me Grandma.”
More Clay Pot Crafts:
- Proudly display your indoor plants and herbs with these Funny Saying Clay Pots – they’re sure to give anyone a chuckle.
- Get your mini succulents ready for the fall holidays with these painted clay pots that transition from Halloween to Thanksgiving.
- Give a dollar store clay pot a makeover with a bit of paint and burlap.
- Trim your Christmas tree with a homemade Gingerbread clay pot ornament.
More Customized Crafts Using Photos:
- Follow this simple tutorial to transfer images onto wood.
- Check out this quick and easy hack to easily transfer images onto glass.
- Give a thoughtful and personalized gift with these DIY photo gift ideas.
- Vacation Craft: Mod Podge vacation photos onto a wooden frame to make a custom picture frame.
Oh my goodness. I love this simple little project, what a perfect gift idea.
AND………….I just read your new e-book – WOW!!! WELL. DONE. I kind of wish I had a small hard copy sitting around my house to browse through now and again:)