Add a bit of color, whimsy, and rustic charm to your fall decor and make this DIY layered wood oval pumpkin craft.
Make a Unique Layered Wood Oval Pumpkin Craft for Fall
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Whether you’re looking to spruce up your living space for fall festivities or seeking to escape into the world of crafting, this craft is for you. Follow this quick and easy step-by-step tutorial to make your own unique pumpkins that can be made in any size or color.
The layered design adds a unique and dimensional aspect to the classic pumpkin shape, making it a standout piece that will undoubtedly become a cherished part of your seasonal decor.
Get creative with paint colors and ribbons of your choosing, to make a truly custom piece of home decor.
P.S. Check out this tutorial on pumpkin painting for inspiration to customize this craft with layered paint colors ranging from green to orange to white!
Supplies needed for this craft
Most supplies for this craft can be found at the dollar store or your local craft store. To find the wood ovals, be sure to check out the aisle with the unfinished wood supplies. For the pumpkin stem, you can buy wood stick pieces, or else just look in your back yard to gather supplies from nature!
- Wooden Oval Plaques, 3 large and 3 small, from the Dollar Store or craft store
- Acrylic craft paint in both light orange and dark orange
- Natural jute twine
- Wood stems or twigs
- Ribbons, lace or trims in various shades of green. This is a great way to use up scraps.
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Paint the wooden ovals: Apply a base coat of dark orange paint to the three small wooden ovals, and apply a coat of light orange paint to the three large wooden ovals. Let dry. Apply a second coat if necessary.
- Glue the three ovals together: Arrange the small wooden ovals - two on the bottom and the third on top, so they are evenly spaced and form a pumpkin shape. Remove the top oval and secure all three ovals together with hot glue. Repeat this step with the three large wooden ovals.
- Add a stem: If using the shorter wood stems from the dollar store, stack two to three pieces and hot glue together. If using a twig, but it down to length. Secure a stem to the back of each pumpkin with hot glue.
- Add a scrappy ribbon bow: Cut two 12” lengths of twine. Lay the cut twine out on work surface, then stack a variety of green ribbons, lace, and trims onto each one. Gather the twine and tie securely in a double knot. Repeat for the second bow. Trim any long ends with scissors. Hot glue a scrappy ribbon bow to the front center of each pumpkin.
*Liquid craft glue can be used for this project, but you would have to wait for it to dry.
The Finished Layered Wood Oval Pumpkin Craft
Change things up by crafting with wooden ovals in a variety of sizes. Make small pumpkins to display on a tiered tray or add to an autumn centerpiece, or larger pumpkins for a bookshelf or end table.
If you want these pumpkins to stand upright, feel free to hot glue a wood block to the back of each pumpkin to make a stand.