Follow this step-by-step tutorial to make this DIY Pumpkin Letterboard to display your favorite fall messages.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
With this step-by-step tutorial and FREE printable letters, you’ll have a beautiful and customizable letterboard to showcase your favorite fall messages.
DIY Fall Pumpkin Letterboard Craft
You just need a few simple supplies (like a wood pumpkin sign from the dollar store, as well as some wooden paint stir sticks and wooden jumbo craft sticks), to make this craft:
Watch this quick video tutorial to see how this craft came together:
- 1 unfinished wood pumpkin cutout, this one is from Dollar Tree
- 3 wood paint stir sticks
- 6 large wood craft sticks
- chalk paint, Waverly brand in the color moss, or any other color you like
- wood glue
- brown kraft paper cardstock
- twine or ribbon, to embellish the top of the sign
- Watch the video tutorial before you begin, and let that be your visual guide for this project.
- Cut the wooden sticks to form the ledger board for the letters: First, use miter shears to cut the handles off the paint stir sticks. Then, cut the wooden craft sticks to match the length of the cut paint stick. It will take two craft sticks to match the length of the paint stick.
- Paint all unfinished wood surfaces: the front of the pumpkin sign, the front and edges of the paint sticks, and the the edges of the craft sticks. Let the paint dry.
- Glue the cut wood sticks to the pumpkin sign: First, apply a line of wood glue to the back of the paint stick. Lay the two wood craft sticks on top, flush with the bottom of the paint stick. Add another line of wood glue on top of the craft sticks. Then flip the "stack" of wood sticks over, onto the pumpkin sign. Repeat with the other two paint sticks. Set a heavy book on the project until the glue can dry. .
- Add a bow: Embellish the top of the pumpkin by hot glueing a simple bow, to cover the hole in the pumpkin stem.
- Cut the letterboard letters: Download and print the letters PDF file (click the green button in the blog post). Then, use a paper trimmer to cut out the letters. For smaller cuts, you can also use scissors.
- Arrange the letters any way you like, and display your new fall letterboard.
The wood craft sticks should be flush with the bottom of the paint stick, so that there is a little gap for the letterboard letters to sit in.
Find the perfect spot to display your DIY pumpkin letterboard craft. You can prop it up on a shelf, or use Command velcro strips to hang it anywhere you like.
Don’t forget to PIN this pumpkin craft for later:
More crafts made with pumpkin cutout signs
This craft was part of a round-up video of 10 Gorgeous Fall Crafts made with Dollar Store Wood Pumpkin Cutouts. You can watch it on YouTube: