Looking to add a bit of patriotic flair to your home decor without breaking the bank? Make this Decoupage Patriotic Mini Planter Box with dollar store supplies!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Bring a touch of Americana into your living space with this DIY project: a mini planter box adorned American flag fabric, all made using budget-friendly supplies from the dollar store.
I recently took a stroll through the seasonal section at the dollar store, and instant inspiration struck when I saw all of the fun red, white, and blue items out for the 4th of July. A few days ago, I shared this patriotic reverse canvas American flag craft.
Today, I’m sharing another craft I made with that same Dollar Tree haul: a mini planter box… NO power tools or special woodworking skills needed!
The key is using these pre-cut 6-inch square wood pieces:
Yes, you could easily cut your own wood pieces. But I know not all crafters have that level of comfort with power tools. So, feel free to use whatever wood squares work for you, as long as you have 5 of them.
You’ll also want to pick up a patriotic bandana (they come in a 2-pack) as well:
*If you can’t find this exact American flag bandana, feel free to use any type of patriotic fabric that you like. Dollar Tree also has cute patriotic printed scarves that would work well for this project. Or you can paint the wood box, like I did with these patriotic tin cans.Now it’s time to get crafting.
Video Tutorial: How to make a Dollar Store Patriotic American Flag Planter Box
- 6-inch wood squares (5 pieces) - from the dollar store, or cut your own
- Wood glue
- American flag bandana - from the dollar store*
- Mod Podge
- Jute rope
- Hammer and 1-inch nails
- Paint brush, 1-inch flat
- Fabric scissors
- Craft scissors
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Watch the video tutorial before you begin, and let that be your visual guide for this project.
- Start with one wood square. Apply a line of wood glue along one edge, and press that glued edge onto another wood piece. Use three nails, evenly spaced, to secure the wood pieces together.
- Repeat this process with two more pieces of wood, forming a square shape. NOTE: the wood pieces will be staggered all the way around, with one edge piece showing on each face of the cube. See image for reference.
- Attach the cube bottom. Line the inner edge of the cube bottom with wood glue and hot glue. Center a wood square and place on top (it will NOT cover the entire cube bottom, and that is OK). Secure each corner with one nail.
- Take your American flag bandana and lay it flat. Using fabric scissors, cut out a section of the bandana that matches the dimensions of one side of the planter box. My bandana was made of a synthetic material, so I frayed the edges a bit.
- Using a 1-inch flat paint brush, apply a layer of Mod Podge to one side of the planter box. Ensure the entire surface is evenly covered.
- Carefully place the cut-out section of the bandana onto the Mod Podge-coated surface of the planter box. Smooth out any wrinkles or air bubbles using your fingers.
- Apply another layer of Mod Podge over the bandana, making sure to cover the entire surface.
- Repeat Steps 5-8 for the remaining sides of the planter box, using additional sections of the American flag bandana. Apply Mod Podge, position the fabric, and seal with another layer of Mod Podge on each side. Allow all sides to dry thoroughly.
- Add a decorative touch with jute rope: Apply a length or jute rope around the top and bottom of the planter box, securing in place with hot glue.
- Fill you planter box with a small faux plant, or a jar of fresh flowers to enjoy. If you want to use a live plant, be sure to drill drainage holes and consider adding a waterproof liner.
*If you can't find this exact American flag bandana, feel free to use any type of patriotic fabric that you like. Dollar Tree also has cute patriotic printed scarves that would work well for this project. Or you can paint the wood box, like I did with these patriotic tin cans.
Looking for even MORE red, white, and blue crafting inspiration? Be sure to check out this roundup of my favorite American flag crafts.
Creating a charming American Flag mini planter box doesn’t have to break the bank. By utilizing budget-friendly supplies from the dollar store and following these simple steps, you can infuse your home with a touch of patriotism. This DIY project is not only fun and creative but also allows you to showcase your love for the United States just in time to celebrate the 4th of July.