Create a mini pumpkin patch to add to your fall decor. Make this EASY dollar store craft: a DIY mini fall pumpkin crate.
Transform a plain mini wooden crate and a few dollar store finds into a delightful Mini Pumpkin Crate perfect for autumn decor.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Dollar Store Mini Wood Crates
The dollar store sells mini unfinished wood crates in the craft supply aisle. And they’re a fabulous blank slate for just about any craft. In this tutorial, we’re going turn a crate into a mini pumpkin patch.
This fall craft came together with a few basic supplies:
Watch this quick video to see how this craft came together:
- mini unfinished wood crate, from Dollar Tree
- gel stain
- light green chalk paint, I used DecoArt in the color "sage shadow"
- craft styrofoam
- scrap burlap
- fall greenery
- 3 mini pumpkin clips, from Dollar Tree
- 4 mini metal brads, or other small embellishment
- E6000 glue
- 1-inch flat paintbrush
- paper trimmer
- wire cutters
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- school glue stick
- printer (for the printable embellishment)
- paper trimmer
- Watch the video tutorial before you begin, and let that be your visual guide for this project.
- Stain the Crate: Use a dry paint brush technique to lightly apply a small amount of gel stain to all surfaces of the wood crate. Leave some unfinished wood poking through.
- Paint the Crate: Use a dry brush with a small amount of paint to lightly brush over the wood. Add as much paint as you like, until the wood looks weathered. If you add too much paint, let it dry and use sandpaper to weather the
- Fill the Crate: Hot glue a piece of styrofoam into the bottom of the crate. Fill in any gaps with pieces of scrap burlap. Use hot glue to add in faux greenery, covering the styrofoam. Hot glue 3 mini pumpkins onto the bed of faux greenery. . .
- Add a Printable Embellishment: Print the printable out onto plain white cardstock paper, and trim it down to size. Add the printable to the front of the wood crate using a school glue stick. Embellish the four corners using a trimmed down metal brad and a tiny dab of E6000 glue.
- Display your Craft: Find the perfect spot in your home to showcase your mini fall pumpkin crate. It'll look fantastic on a tiered tray, shelf, or even as part of a seasonal table centerpiece.
The finished mini pumpkin patch wood crate
This mini pumpkin crate is the perfect budget-friendly craft to usher in the fall season. With just a few simple supplies and this step-by-step tutorial, you can make a charming decoration that adds warmth and festive spirit to your home.
So get crafting and give this DIY project a try. Happy making!
Don’t forget to PIN this fall pumpkin craft for later:
More fall dollar store crafts
More Simple Dollar Store Fall Crafts
This craft was part of a round-up video of 10-minute fall dollar store crafts. You can watch it on YouTube: