Grab a couple of dollar store Valentine signs and door hangers, and give them a gorgeous farmhouse-style makeover with paint and silk flowers.
Let’s transform these Dollar Tree Valentine door hangers and signs to give them a neutral, farmhouse-style vibe!
I LOVE shopping at the Dollar Tree for seasonal craft and decor supplies. BUT… I don’t always the color scheme. My neutral-loving heart just can’t handle all of those bright colors!
I updated a Dollar Tree Valentine truck with paint and silk flowers. And this Dollar Tree “love” sign got a whole new look with scrapbook paper, ribbon, and lambs ear leaves.
Here are the “before” images:
And you can watch this YouTube video to see the start-to-finish transformation process. Keep scrolling for written tutorials and supply lists.
I just love how these two little crafts turned out. I’m not crazy about things that seem overly Valentines-ey (that’s definitely not a word, but I’m rolling with it, LOL!). I think these two pieces are perfect for brightening up your post-Christmas winter decor, without screaming of commercial red hearts and Cupids everythere.
2021 Dollar Store Valentine Crafts
Here’s my before-and-after of the Valentine truck door hanger craft:
I basically gave the whole truck a fresh coat of chalk paint using my FAVORITE color…. MOSS green. I use this color in so many craft projects, that I feel like a broken record. I use it so often, in fact, that I consider it a “neutral” in my decor color palette. In fact, I even painted my office chair in this green!
Dollar Store Valentine Truck
Give a Dollar Tree pickup truck door hanger a neutral, farmhouse-style makeover with a bit of paint and silk flowers.
- Waverly chalk paint, in colors Moss (light green), Elephant (dark gray), and Silver Lining (light gray)
- Paint brushes - 1/2-inch flat, 1/4-inch flat, and fine point
- 1 large popsicle craft stick
- Waverly antique wax or wood stain
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Silk flowers
- Metal decorative Valentine letters
- Adhesive foam tape
- OPTIONAL: silver craft paint
- Paint the truck - the truck body in light green with a 1/2-inch flat brush, the tire hearts in dark gray with a 1/4-inch flat brush, and the truck bed hearts in light gray with a fine-point brush. Let dry. OPTIONAL: add a coat of metallic silver paint over the tire hearts.
- Cut one end off a large popsicle craft stick - so one end is rounded and one end is flat. “Stain” the stick with antique wax. Hot glue the stick onto the truck bed.
- Disassemble the silk flower stems, cutting them at varying lengths. Hot glue the flower stems into the truck bed. Glue as many flowers as you like, until most of the background is evenly covered.
- Cut small pieces of adhesive foam tape, and apply them to the back of the metal decorative letters. Secure to the side of the truck.
And here’s my before-and-after of that cute little “love” sign:
I love being able to turn to scrapbook paper in my dollar store crafts. I’m not a huge scrapbook person – I’m in more of a “be grateful I printed these 4x6s off and stuck them in an unlabeled album” phase of life, to be totally honest.
BUT – I do enjoy browsing the selection of beautiful patterns of scrapbook paper at the craft store. So, it’s always nice to actually put those paper impulse purchases to use.
This wood grain paper gives the look of reclaimed wood, without all of the hard work of using a scroll saw to cut letters.
Dollar Tree LOVE Valentine Sign
Grab a little hanging "love" sign from the dollar store, and give it a whole new look with a few basic craft supplies. How to make a faux-weathered wood letter sign.
- Dollar Tree “love” Sign
- Mod Podge
- 1/2-inch flat paint brush
- Wood texture scrapbook paper
- Pen Blade
- Cutting mat
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Black and white check fabric ribbon
- Faux lambs ear leaves
- Apply a generous coat of Mod Podge to the front of the “love” sign.
- Smooth the scrapbook paper over the Mod Podge. Place a heavy object on top, and let dry for 20-30 minutes.
- Flip the sign over onto the cutting mat. Use a Pen Blade to trim away the excess scrapbook paper.
- Tie a ribbon bow, and cut two sprigs of leaves. Hot glue them into place on the top of the sign.
Want even more Valentine’s Day crafting inspiration?
Don’t miss these other Dollar Store Valentine DIY Decor and Craft Projects.
Niki ~ Life as a LEO Wife says
These turned out great! I love upcycling Dollar Tree decor into beautiful pieces you can actually use. I think my readers would love it too, so if you get a chance, I’d love for you to come share on our link parties at LifeasaLEOWIfe.com. Happiness is Homemade is open Sun-Thurs, and Crafty Creators (which is brand new) is open Thurs-Mon. I love the farmhouse trucks, but the ones from Dollar Tree are really undisplayable as is lol. You’re upcycle is perfect!