I am a metallic decor fanatic during the fall and winter months. I just can’t help myself. If I could, I would probably just cover my whole house in metallic and chalkboard paint…. ok, maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration. I just think there are so many inexpensive decor projects that you can make with a little inspiration and a paintbrush.
Today’s post is no exception.
I had this packet of fake leaves from the dollar store. Like so many items in my craft stash, they were patiently waiting around to be used in a project.
When I paired this simple dollar store purchase with some craft paint from my paint drawer, things started to get fun!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
- dollar store fake leaves
- paint-friendly surface
- metallic paint in these colors:
** These are the exact paint colors and brands that I used. You may notice that there are two different brands. That’s just because it’s what I had in my craft drawer at the time. More discussion on the difference between these brands is in the tutorial. **
Dollar Store Metallic Fall Leaves – Instructions
This was basically the easiest painting project, ever. Just paint the leaves!
You will probably get some paint on your fingers, since it’s impossible to paint the entire surface of the leaf without it moving around. If you’re anything like me, you go through life on a daily basis with paint and/or hot glue burns on your fingers!
I know I mentioned that I used two different brands of paint: Martha Stewart Crafts and Americana Gloss Enamels. Here’s the deal.
- Yes, I know the Americana paint is for glass and ceramic, and stuff. Like I said, it’s what I had on hand.
- The Americana paint actually had better coverage. I was able to do 1 coat instead of two.
- This does not mean that I would recommend using Americana paint exclusively. The thing with Martha Stewart craft products is this: their color selection is infinitely better than other brands. My eye is always drawn to the Martha Stewart shades… for whatever reason.
See comparison below:
So, there you have it. Paint away, without regard or loyalty to a brand. Just paint!
Dollar Store Metallic Fall Leaves – The Finished Product
I haven’t quite decided what I’m going to use my leaves for. Here are just a couple of thoughts that are running through my mind:
- string leaves together for a fun garland for my mantle or entry shelf
- frame leaves for a specimen art project
- scatter leaves on a fall table setting
You’ll just have to wait and see what I choose.
What would you recommend? I would love for you to leave a comment and share your ideas!