I ALWAYS need more storage for my kids’ toys and treasures. These upcycled outdoor storage containers are cheap, easy to make, and are a great way to hold those small items that pile up outside this summer!
Hi readers! I’m Becca and I blog at Hello Central Avenue. I share inspiration and ideas about DIY projects, home decor, and parties! Summer is in full swing over here, and I’m working hard on organizing my home with two little kids running around! My last guest post was all about organizing your child’s dresser using the Dollar Store. Just click, “Kids’ Dresser Organization” to read all about it! This month I’m sharing more simple and cheap ideas for organizing your home!
Upcycled Outdoor Storage Containers
I’m slowly losing my mind from a million tiny loose knick knacks piling up inside and outside of my house. It’s like my kids are leaving a trail of tiny toys to find their way back home. Like I mentioned above, I’m working on decluttering and organizing my house one room at a time in my “Hot-Mess House Challenge.” You can see my linen closet, the first space I tackled, in my post, “How to Organize a Small Linen Closet!” Just as I’ve gotten fed up with all of the clutter inside, I’ve decided to come up with a plan outside to organize all of the “stuff.”
I found an outdoor storage bin that someone was giving away for FREE! That is currently holding all of the larger outdoor toys that we have, but I didn’t want to throw in the chalk, bubbles, or other small items into the large storage bin. I felt like they would just get lost! I decided that I needed some smaller outdoor storage containers to house the smaller items. Instead of buying some new containers, I knew that I had a bunch of containers around the house that I could use! The dishwasher pods containers were perfect, because they have a handle! You could use them as is, but if I get the chance to make something cute, I jump at it! All I did was spray paint them, add a label, and wrap the handles in twine! Read on to see how easy they are to make!
- Storage containers (dishwasher pod containers with handles)
- Spray paint
- Hot glue gun
- Glue sticks
- Cricut (cutting machine) or letter stencils
- Transfer tape
How to Make: The Upcycled Outdoor Storage Containers
- First, remove the lid from the upcycled outdoor storage container. Clean the container, so the paint will adhere properly.
- Next, Spray paint the container and lid in your color of choice.
- Then, place hot glue on one side of the handle. Start wrapping the twine around the handle.Continue to add glue and wrap the twine. You could do the whole handle, but I just did the center.
- Create a label with your cutting machine and place it on the front of your upcycled storage containers. If you don’t have a cutting machine, you can use alphabet stickers! I chose a background and then placed the text on top. Then I applied the whole thing using transfer tape.
- Finally, apply your labels to the front of the storage containers. I decided to make my upcycled outdoor storage containers for chalk and bubbles!
I’ll definitely be saving my dishwasher pod containers when we buy them to make more upcycled outdoor storage containers in the future!