Try this upcycling craft and make tin can vases out of recycled cans and old maps. Use map paper to spruce up empty cans and make a beautiful floral centerpiece.
This post first appeared on Somewhat Simple where I’m a contributor.
Upcycling craft projects seriously make my green heart happy. I recently bought a giant sheet of map paper, and now it feels like I’m just going around covering everything with maps. I just can’t help it!
Related: If you love upcycling as much as I do, come hang out on my Upcycling Pinterest Board. There’s a ton of beautiful and thrifty recycled inspiration!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Supplies to Make Tin Can Vases
Tutorial: Tin Cans and Map Upcycle
Smooth out your map paper. Cut a strip of paper that matches the height of your tin can.
Attach a long piece of double-sided tape to one end of the paper strip.
Secure the paper strip to the tin can, wrapping it around. Then secure the other end with more double-sided tape.
That’s it! I really like this map paper from Papyrus, since it seems like it may be a bit more water-resistant as I change out the water for my flowers. (note: these have been sitting in my window sill for over three months, and they still look great. I’m just really careful when I change out the water)
Do you want even more uses for tin cans? Check out these 11 Beautiful Uses for Empty Tin Cans.
- Empty tin cans, cleaned well with labels removed. I recommend using a smooth edge can opener, so that your tin cans all have smooth edges.
- Double-sided tape
- Old maps or map craft paper
- Craft scissors
- Smooth out your map paper. Cut a strip of paper that matches the height of your tin can.
- Attach a long piece of double-sided tape to one end of the paper strip.
- Secure the paper strip to the tin can, wrapping it around. Then secure the other end with more double-sided tape.
Don’t forget to PIN these tin can vases for later:
More creative upcyle craft projects:
- Make one of these tin can crafts today! There is no need to buy more organizing or craft supplies, when all you need to do is look to your kitchen. Put those empty tin cans to use.
- At first glance, a brown paper bag may not seem particularly inspiring, but there’s so much you can do with this simple material! Here are some super creative paper bag crafts that you won’t believe started life as a humble paper bag.
- Spring has sprung! Create your own bud vases with a little spray paint and this glass bottle upcycle project.
- You won’t believe how easy it is to make these DIY painted Decorative Wine Bottles. Empty a few bottles of wine, and save the empty bottles for a fun upcyled craft.