Create a unique and sustainable piece of autumn decor and make this cheese box lid fall wreath embellished with a cardboard pumpkin.
Transform a thrifted cheese box lid into a unique fall door hanger.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Fall is in the air, and what better way to welcome the season than by crafting your a unique door hanger to add to your home’s decor?
I found a wooden cheese box at the thrift store several years ago. It’s just been sitting in my craft room, and I sometimes use it for extra storage. But I knew eventually I would want to make a craft with it.
Watch this quick video to see how this craft came together:
- Wooden cheese box lid (check your local craft stores or thrift shops)
- Fall foliage: faux greenery, acorns, and pine cones
- Wood pumpkin cutout - I used this corrugated cardboard pumpkin craft
- Wired jute cord, for hanging
- Optional (for to keep from damaging or permanently altering the cheese box lid): scrap of cardboard, heavy duty double-sided tape, and 3 small Jenga blocks
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Wire cutters
- Watch the video tutorial before you begin, and let that be your visual guide for this project.
- Make a cardboard liner: Cut an 8 to 10-inch length of cardboard to rest inside the base of the cheese box lid. This is where you will hot glue all embellishments, so as to not permanently alter or damage the wooden lid. Secure the cardboard piece to the base of the lid with double-sided tape.
- Make a bed of raffia and greenery: Temporarily set the wood pumpkin in place in the cheese box lid.Hot glue a bed of raffia to the cardboard liner, around the pumpkin. Then hot glue in faux greenery and acorns.
- Add the wood pumpkin cutout: Secure the pumpkin cutout to the inside of cheese box lid, using a few Jenga pieces and double-sided tape to elevate the pumpkin a bit.
- Hang the wreath: Wrap a length of wired jute cord around the outside rim of the cheese box lid. Twist the cord together at the top of the lid, leaving enough length to hang at your desired height.
- Display Your Fall Wreath: Find the perfect spot to showcase your handmade fall wreath. Hang it on your front door, above your fireplace, or anywhere that could use a touch of autumn charm. I chose to drape a fall leaves garland made of upcycled paper grocery bags over my door hanger.
The Finished Upcycled Fall Door Hanger
I decided to drape this upcycled paper bag leaves garland over my new cheese box lid fall wreath, which I think is the perfect finishing touch for this craft!