This post contains some affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Two college students in one apartment with no bookshelf in sight leaves for mass chaos. It all started like this: two law students are capable of doing incredible things to an apartment during final exams. Everything on the island was from exams, but everything on the table had managed to find a permanent home there. I thought I was going to lose my mind among all that clutter. I began by clearing everything away and moving the table to the opposite wall. I decided I wanted a shelf on the newly empty wall – a sort of “landing spot” for school supplies and books.
- 4 – pine 1x10s cut 40-inches long
- Minwax Wood Finish in Jacobean 2750
- Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane in Clear Satin
- pavers – I found mine in the Home Depot gardening department – they were roughly 2x5x8 for the rectangles and 2x4x4 for the smaller squares. I purchased 20 rectangles and 6 squares
I didn’t want to spend a whole lot of money, and I was officially cut off from making any more Ikea purchases (“I don’t want our apartment looking like an Ikea catalog.”). I have seen bookshelves made from cinder blocks, but saw two problems with this approach. 1) Cinder blocks are 16 inches tall. This is just too big for the kind of shelf I wanted. 2) When I think of cinder block shelves I flash back to college dorm and fraternity rooms. So, on a cold December day, I wandered the garden department at Home Depot. I found pavers that were about 2x5x8 for the rectangles and 2x4x4 for the squares. Perfect!
I had some pine 1x10s cut 40-inches long. Luckily, we have been blessed with an incredibly warm winter so far in Minnesota. I was able to stain the wood out on my patio, although I’m sure the neighbors were wondering what this crazy chick was doing. I must admit, my setup was a bit odd. I thought the white trash bags gave an extra classy touch.
I used Minwax Wood Finish in Jacobean 2750 (one coat) and Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane in Clear Satin (two coats). Just follow the instructions on the can. This was my first attempt at staining wood, and I’m pretty pleased with the results.
Next came the pavers. I rinsed them off well and let them dry. Then I began stacking. I used a ruler to make the pavers they were exactly 2 inches from the edge of the board.
The rectangle pavers went on the first two levels, and the square pavers finished off the third level. I may still add more square pavers to the top shelf if I want to be able to store textbooks there as well.
Ultimately, I’m pretty pleased with the end result. I think the total cost came in somewhere in the $40-45 range, although I could have saved a bundle by going with cinder blocks. If I decide I need more storage space, I may buy and refinish something bigger, and move this shelf to the patio for gardening. I have also contemplated painting the pavers. We’ll just have to wait and see.