It seems like banners are popping up everywhere – in nurseries and at showers. And I will be the first to admit that I LOVE this trend! So a few months ago I hopped on the bandwagon and made these baby name banners for our nursery. Today, I am finally getting around to sharing them with you all…
I took pictures during the process to make a how-to, but I have somehow managed to destroy two hard drives in the last month. This seriously happened to me. They just died. No warning. No fault of my own. No virus. Nothing. The kind people at the Apple store have seen me cry, scream, curse, and grumble about a company that hides their mountains of cash overseas to avoid taxes, yet somehow manages to gouge their loyal customers. The look on the 19-year-old’s face who just wanted to fix my hard drive was priceless.
Anyway… there is more to that rant, but I will save you the gory details. On to happier subjects! I may not have a tutorial to show you, but I can still show off these two lovely little banners I made for the nursery.
I found some plain burlap-covered cardboard tiles in the value section at Michaels. They came with little metal rings, so I think they were meant to be used at little covers for homemade notebooks. But since these tiles already had two holes punched in the top, they were ready to be threaded with ribbon for using as a banner. I painted six tiles blue (for Robert) and eight tiles pink (for Brooklyn). You can see from the pictures that they match the poster frames. That’s because I used the leftover paint from when I painted the frames a while back. I was able to get a really great custom look for the cost of two little bottles of Martha Stewart paint!
Then I hit up Google Image Search for a silhouette of a tree. I traced my tree onto scrapbook paper 14 times, and cut each one out. I gave the tree tops some dimension by taping them to a wooden craft circle before glueing it to my painted burlap tile. Letters were cut with my die-cutter from the same paper as tree trunks. Everything was attached with scrapbook glue. Each banner was hung with a ribbon and two small finishing nails.
I think this will be the last of my nursery decorating projects until the twins get a bit older and we transition into a “big kids room.” It’s been a fun DIY journey – check out my other wall art project here.
You do such an awesome job with your photos of all your projects!
Mary Ellen says
love their room, Aimee! They are lucky little babies!
I really like your photos.
I often edit this kind of photos with Fotor.